For the past many weeks, this blog has hosted “Wednesday Warm Up,”— a day of usually quick drawing, inking, brushing as warm up to our serious art. I share a strategy to try each Wednesday using the iPad app ProCreate.
A busy week and a little out of sorts. Today I found energy and time for one little art project.
Today the prompt is a #dndchallenge– “wanderlust”. I enjoyed creating a watercolor that played on the word. I thought of one of my favorite things– wandering through the woods. And I focused most on playing with the font– a quick practice for adding interest to lettering.
The outlines are an ink brush, but adapted to messy– with little edges and changes with pressure.
The watercolor are brushes from Calvin The Drifter– you can find out more from the August 5 Artist Gems post. I also used his St Petersburg watercolor paper template.
The fun part was the lettering. It’s the Zapfino font. I duplicated it twice and moved each to the right a bit– one a bit more than the other. I merged the layers and adjust the spots that needed refinement to keep the font style.
I duplicated that to save in case I goofed. I painted with Hartz brush in rainbow colors left to right with a clipping mask. After applying a Gaussian blur, I merged the layers.
Next I duplicated the rainbow letters and, to the one below, I applied a motion blur and moved it to the right to line up with the letters like a rainbow shadow.
Here’s a replay so you can see how it fit together.
This quick sketch and watercolor was a fun way to play on words and play with lettering. Things like this are fun when all you’ve got is a bit of time. Use any brushes you want– and if you’ve a strategy for font fun, please share. And please– share with #warmup4art so we can all enjoy your work too! I look forward to your sharing and tag me at @42Sheri.
#AugustDoodle #dndchallenge #clmooc #wanderlust #warmup4art